Vegan Thai Red Curry
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||25 Minutes|
- 1 cup extra-firm tofu, (cubed)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Red Curry Paste (recipe given below)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup baby corn (halved)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger (minced)
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
For the Curry Paste:
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 3 red Thai chilies (deseeded)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (minced)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of galangal or ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp redd chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
Making the Curry Paste:
Blend all the curry paste ingredients in a food processor until a smooth paste forms. You can adjust the spice level by adding more or fewer chilies.
Making the Curry:
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil. Pan-fry the tofu cubes until they are golden and slightly crispy on the edges. Set aside.
- In a large pan or wok, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat. Add minced ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the red curry paste to the pan and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until the paste is fragrant. Pour in the coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Add the sliced bell peppers, sliced onion, baby corn, and snap peas to the curry. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the curry sauce.
- Add torn kaffir lime leaves, soy sauce, and maple syrup (or coconut sugar) to the curry. Season with salt to taste. Let the curry simmer for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and the vegetables to cook.
- Add the pan-fried tofu into the curry.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and give the curry a final stir.
- Ladle the Vegan Thai Red Curry into serving bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve the curry over steamed jasmine rice or rice noodles. Delight in the explosion of flavors in every bite, from the creamy coconut base to the tender vegetables and savory tofu.