Vegan Thai Green Curry with Tofu and Mixed Vegetables
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||25 Minutes|
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (such as bell peppers, baby corn, peas)
- 1 cup firm tofu, cubed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp green curry paste (recipe given below)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn (optional)
- Thai basil leaves (for garnish)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
For the Green Curry Paste:
- 2 green Thai chilies (deseeded, adjust for spice level)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger (minced)
- 1 lemongrass stalk (white part only, minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander stems
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
Making the Curry Paste:
Blend all the curry paste ingredients in a food processor until a smooth paste forms. You can adjust the spice level by adding more or fewer chilies.
Making the Curry:
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil. Pan-fry the tofu cubes until they're golden and slightly crispy. Set aside.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the remaining coconut oil over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the green curry paste and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Stir well to combine the curry paste with the liquids.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the curry. Stir and let them simmer for a few minutes until slightly tender.
- Add torn kaffir lime leaves, soy sauce, and coconut sugar to the curry. Season with salt to taste.
- Let the curry simmer for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and the vegetables to fully cook. Add the pan-fried tofu cubes to the curry during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and give the curry a final stir.
- Ladle the Vegan Thai Green Curry into serving bowls. Garnish with Thai basil leaves and fresh cilantro.
- Serve the curry over steamed jasmine rice or rice noodles. Each spoonful bursts with the vibrant flavors of the green curry paste and the creaminess of coconut milk, making for a truly satisfying and authentic Thai dining experience.